The purpose of the Academic Development Program is to provide assistance to those students with diverse learning needs or diagnosed disabilities and to assist teachers with strategies that help students succeed. Cretin-Derham Hall admits a broad range of students. As a result of the CDH mission, we serve students with a range of needs and abilities and provide the support for them to maximize their potentials.
Learning Lab Curriculum
Services are offered through a Learning Lab course, which is a one-trimester, one credit course. Support is given in the areas of reading, writing, math, organization, study skills, and self-advocacy. Students may register for this course with a recommendation from this department. A student may be enrolled in the course as long as the need exists.
Goals of the Learning Lab Course
- To assist students in achieving academic success
- Adjustment to classes
- Completion of assignments
- Collaboration with teachers
- Development of organizational skills
- To have students take ownership for their learning
- To help students understand themselves and gain the hope and confidence necessary to manage their learning needs
- To assist students in evaluating their strengths and weaknesses and in setting goals for each trimester
- To provide testing services when appropriate
- Oral testing
- Arrangements for extended time or a different environment for tests