World Language at CDH
The World Language Department of Cretin-Derham Hall recognizes that all students are citizens of a global society. Students who effectively communicate in more than one language will be globally literate and increase their own communication skills.
- As students learn to communicate in other languages, their appreciation of other cultures adds dimension and depth of understanding to their view of the world.
- Classes use ACTFL proficiency standards to increase students' personal understanding of the language along with differentiated curriculum to educate all the intelligences of the student.
- Students are assessed in their verbal, written, and presentation skills as a method to give them real life understanding and use of the language.
- In developing linguistic skills, they learn to better understand and appreciate their native language.
World Language in the Classroom
Graduation Requirement: 6 credits (Each student must take 6 credits sequentially of the same language, equivalent to 2 years)
Each student is required to complete two years sequentially of a world language. However, 75% of our students take three or four years of the same language.
- French 101
- French 201
- French 303 – Honors
- French 403 – AP/Honors
- French 503 – Honors
- Mandarin Chinese 101 – Advanced
- Mandarin Chinese 201 - Advanced
- Mandarin Chinese 301 – Honors
- Mandarin Chinese 401 - AP/Honors
- Mandarin Chinese 501 - Honors
- Spanish 100, Spanish 101
- Spanish 200, Spanish 201
- Spanish 300 - College Prep
- Spanish 302 – Advanced
- Spanish 303 - Honors
- Spanish 402 - Advanced
- Spanish 403 - AP/Honors
- Spanish 503 – Honors
- Spanish 603 - Honors
- AP Language and Culture
- In the 403 level each language offers AP Language and Culture.
- Students will be able to test at CDH to earn AP credit.
- Travel Opportunities
- Trips support language fluency and cultural exploration
- Trips vary in focus: sightseeing, a pilgrimage, and many justice education trips
- First-hand use of the world language
The World Language Faculty
Contact our World Language faculty though our Staff Directory.