Science at CDH
The mission of the Science Department is to provide innovative, technological and progressive science offerings for students of all levels and interests that prepare them to become skilled citizens living in the global 21st century.
Science in the Classroom
The Science Department of Cretin-Derham Hall provides science offerings for students of all ability levels including 4 AP courses, 3 PACC courses for college credit, and two CIS courses for college credit.
Graduation Requirements: 9 credits (equivalent to 3 years)
- Science and Engineering (STEM) - College Prep, Advanced, or Honors
- Biology - College Prep, Advanced, Honors, or AP - Honors
- Human Anatomy & Physiology - Advanced
11th and 12th Grade
- Biology - College Prep, Advanced, Honors or AP - Honors
- Environmental Science - Honors, or AP - Honors
- Human Anatomy & Physiology - Advanced or Honors (U of M CIS)
- Chemistry - College Prep, Advanced, Honors (SMUMN PACC), AP- Honors
- Physics - Advanced (U of M CIS), Advanced (SMUMN PACC), Honors (SMUMN PACC), AP Physics C - Honors
11th and 12th Grade Trimester Electives
- Astronomy Solar System and the Vagabonds - College Prep or Advanced
- Astronomy Stars and Constellations - College Prep or Advanced
- Astronomy Deep Space and Beyond - College Prep or Advanced
- DNA, Forensics, and Genetics - College Prep or Advanced
- Environmental Engineering - Advanced or Honors
- Ecology - Advanced or Honors
- Outdoor Education
This requirement may be met by a variety of combinations that fit individual student abilities and needs Students are encouraged to get a broad background across the various fields of science before specializing in one area. Students who apply to college must be aware that many colleges require three years of science, including one physical and one biological science.
Find out more about course options and class details, see the Science curriculum.
The CDH Advantage!
- STEM Program Anchors Science Track
- All 9th graders will take a foundational STEM class to address the critical need for science skills to meet 21st century challenges in all disciplines
- Variety of College Credit Options
- PACC Credit (Saint Mary's University of Minnesota)
- CIS Credit (University of Minnesota)
- Advanced Placement (AP) Options
The Science Faculty
To contact one of our outstanding science teachers, take a look at our Staff Directory.