Religion at CDH
Guided by the school's sponsoring orders, the Sisters of St. Joseph and the Brothers of the Christian Schools, the Religion department strives in its teaching to be faithful to the Gospel.
We welcome students as they are, affirm their dignity, and call them to extend this welcome to others. We teach students to know, value, and honor the Catholic tradition. We help students develop spiritual practices that will awaken and sustain them. We call students to live lives dedicated to justice and the common good.
Religion in the Classroom
Graduation Requirements: 12 credits (equivalent to 4 years)
- Values Symposium (Religion combines with Social Studies and English, with a content focus on the CDH Values as well as reading and writing across the disciplines
- Hebrew Scriptures (Trimester I)
- Christian Scriptures (Trimester II)
- Church (Trimester III)
- Faith and Ethics (Trimesters I and II)
- Religion Elective (Trimester III)
- Being Christian in the World, Christian Controversies, Men's Spirituality, Women's Spirituality, Prayer and Spirituality, Spirituality Through Art, World Religions
- Senior Interdisciplinary Symposium - Honors
- Philosophy/Theology - Honors and Social Justice - Honors
- Senior Seminar
Rooted in the charisms of the Christian Brothers and Sisters of St. Joseph, the Religion Department provides both academic and spiritual enrichment opportunities. The faculty, staff, students and their families collaborate to create a nurturing learning environment supported by prayer, liturgy, retreats, and service.
The curriculum invites students to recognize and promote the dignity and sacredness of life and to grow in the knowledge and understanding of the Catholic faith.
To find out more about course options and class details, see the Religion curriculum.
The CDH Advantage!
- Senior Fieldwork Service
- All CDH seniors participate in Thursday fieldwork at a local service site
- Social Justice Education Trips
- Civil Rights Justice Education Trip, El Otro Lado Justice Education Trip, Guatemala Justice Education Trip, Red Lake Nation Justice Education Trip, Romero House Urban Challenge, Schools of the Americas Justice Education Trip
- Justice Week
- Since 2001, CDH hosts an annual Justice Week that includes speakers, Empty Bowls, Toss for Justice, and an Archdiocesan Youth Summit
The Religion Faculty
To contact a religion teacher, take a look at our Staff Directory.